A pasta salad with salami, capers, celery and peppers, lightly dressed.
Seriously guys. I’m not kidding.
If any girl out there has had their fair share of pasta-anything, it’s me. In fact, I’m fairly certain I wouldn’t have made it past the age of 10 if it wasn’t for Michelina’s Fettucini Alfredo. Case in point- Mom once told me a story about the time I was about 5 years old and sitting at the kitchen table refusing to eat my alfredo. Clearly something was severely wrong- turns out I had strep throat.
Moral of the story: I’ll eat pasta anytime, anywhere…unless I have strep throat.
Fast forward twenty-something years later and I’m still a pasta fiend. Which I dare say makes me a pasta expert.
With that being said, this is the BEST pasta salad I’ve ever tasted. Some salads try to measure up with their long-list of ingredients, rich dressings and funny pasta shapes but they. just. can’t.
The light dressing mixed with colorful textures from the capers, peppers and celery make each bite an enjoyable treat. Just enough protein from the salami, without being the focus of the dish, allow this to be a perfect side.
Now, you’re going to want to eat this every day, but here are a few occasions where it’s particularly perfect.
- birthday parties
- the answer to “what can I bring”
- or my favorite- a tailgate party (which if you’re in the South-you know is a MAJOR deal)
Do yourself a favor and try it out. Let me know what you think!
- 1 pound dried bowtie pasta
- 4 ounces hard salami, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup celery, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons capers
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, add the bowtie pasta and cook until al dente, about 9 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and rinse with cold water.
- While the pasta is cooking, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar and mayonnaise.
- In a large bowl, add the drained pasta, salami, celery, red pepper, and capers.
- Pour the dressing mixture over the pasta and mix thoroughly.
- Season with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Serve well chilled.