Pecan Toffee Bars. Need I say more?
I do not have a sweet tooth. I think I was born without one.
Any desserts you see on here are the real deal.
I have to warn you that these toffee bars are literally crack. You innocently think to yourself, ‘oh, I’ll just have one’. Well let me tell you from experience, that one turns into two… which turns into three… which snowballs into 4+.
Don’t be ashamed. Others have been there with you. We’re about to start a support group- please stay in touch. I think the most I’ve eaten in one sitting is about 7. (It wasn’t my proudest moment.)
I don’t know what it is about these pecan toffee bars. Maybe the sweet, cookie-like base or the bittersweet chocolate that coats the top of the bar or the combination of those with salty pecan chunks. It’s just a experience that everyone
should needs to have.
Once you’ve gone through the process of baking your base and chopping your pecans and chocolate- the fun process gets to begin. This is when the bars turn from ordinary to extraordinary.
Sprinkle the chopped chocolate on the baked ‘toffee’ and watch the magic happen. It’s going to rock your world. The chocolate slowly starts to melt from the hot toffee base that just got out of the oven. When the chocolate gets to an ooey-gooey consistency- take your spatula and evenly spread the chocolate across the entire base.
Then sprinkle the chopped pecans across the pan. You’re going to want to dive in head first for a bite of these little babies but you’ve got to wait 5 to 10 minutes (or what seems like forever) for them to cool in the refrigerator. I know it’s hard, but it’s definitely worth the wait.
Try them out and let me know how many you eat in one sitting. We’re in a Trust Tree- judgment free zone here!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk the flour and brown sugar together in a large mixing bowl
- Stir in the melted butter until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the egg and mix well.
- Pour mixture into an ungreased 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Pack down mixture evenly to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned.
- Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate over the base.
- Allow the chocolate to melt for 3 to 5 minutes, then use a spatula to spread chocolate over the base.
- Sprinkle the pecans evenly over the chocolate.
- Refrigerate for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until the chocolate has hardened.
- Remove pan from the refrigerator and cut into squares.