Marinated Italian Beef Sandwiches with Green Peppers
It’s almost Super Bowl Sunday! Bring on the chicken wings, nachos and sliders.
However, I’ve got an alternative Super Bowl party for you that starts with with Italian Beef Sandwiches served beside a Tomato and Lima Bean Soup.
Listen, I grew up in the South and that meant college football. Well us NCAA folks end WAY before the Super Bowl so; therefore, I am about tailgate food-ed out by the time we get to February. I still need something easy to prepare ahead, and easy to serve to guests during the game but not necessarily typical bar food.
This beef is so succulently marinated in beef base, Worcestershire, herbs and accompanied by green peppers. The best thing about these sandwiches is you can prepare the beef ahead of time and serve when your guests arrive. It can be served on a hamburger bun for gameday or over a bed of rice for an easy meal. Either are equally enjoyable!
Ready to break from the norm and elevate your football food? Let me know what you think!
- 3 to 4 pound top blade or chuck roast
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, crushed
- 3 cups boiling water
- 3 teaspoons beef base
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Several dashes of Tabasco, depending on taste
- Sandwich buns
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Make small cuts on the meat on all sides. Place garlic slivers into the cuts. Pat meat dry and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place meat on a shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle the top of the roast with the crushed fennel seeds.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes per pound. Remove meat and let cool on a plate.
- Place the 3 teaspoons beef base into the shallow roasting pan. Pour the boiling water into the roasting pan, scraping up the pan drippings.
- Add the green pepper, Worcestershire sauce, herbs, Tabasco, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Slice the meat thin and place in the beef marinade. Simmer on low for 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Serve meat warm on sandwich buns along with the marinade.
- Note: You can place meat in marinade mixture and marinate overnight. To serve, simmer on the stove until heated through.