It has been a hot minute since I’ve been SO excited about a dish that all I wanted to do was sit down and eat the ENTIRE bowl. I’m not joking. The thing getting me through this work week is looking forward to lunch EVERY day because I know I have this Lemon Orzo Salad with Tuna waiting for me.
This dish came together through, dare I say, magic! It was Sunday afternoon and I was meal-prepping for the week (like all good Sundays in my opinion) and decided to use up some fridge and pantry items instead of running to the grocery store. I looked in the fridge and saw one, lonely little zucchini that was begging to be eaten before he spoiled.
“How am I going to make a lunch dish using one- lonely zucchini?” I asked myself. Then the recipe composition began.
Enter Lemon Orzo Salad with Tuna!
First, I needed a base to the dish – so cue the orzo! Then I began thinking about what dressing would add a light, fresh bite and immediately thought of a basic lemon vinaigrette. Next, the dish needed protein and I had a packet of tuna in the pantry that would do the trick! Finally, for a little color and richness, I added sun-dried tomatoes, arugula, and topped it off with some Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Holy cow it was a masterpiece!!!
Trust me – you’re going to love adding this recipe to your lunch routine. (I also LOVE this Italian Confetti Quinoa Salad for a great go-to lunch.)
Lemon Orzo Salad with Tuna
Author: Morgan Fields
A bright, summertime salad with orzo, tuna and a lemon vinaigrette.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- ½ tsp grated garlic
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 cup orzo
- 6.5 oz tuna packed in water
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, diced
- 3 tbsp basil, chiffonaded
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Whisk the first 5 ingredients together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cook orzo according to package directions, remove from heat. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Place orzo in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Pour vinaigrette mixture over salad, mixing well.
- Refrigerate before serving.